1865-1870: Several African Americans settle in North Frankfort, known by most as the “lower part of the city.”
1870-1880: Between 1870 and 1880, the black population rose from 2,335 to 3,199.
1877-1880: The name “Crawfish Bottom” begins to emerge as references in newspapers. Later shortened to “Craw.”
1880: Flood threatens residents of Craw.
1883: Flood devastates neighborhood
1891: Dr. Underwood establishes medical practice in the neighborhood
1909: Riot in Craw between Soldiers and residents.
1912: Prostitution in Craw captures attention of Federal Government.
1913: Prostitutes are relegated to Gas House Alley forming an unofficial red-light district.
1920: 19th Amendment ratified (Prohibition)
1928: Mayo Underwood School built
1929: John Fallis, “King of Craw” is shot and killed.
1937: Flood devastates neighborhood
1955: League of Women Voters conducts study provoking slum clearance efforts.
1956: The 1956 “Structure and Family Survey” conducted by Scruggs and Hammond, a Lexington city planning firm
1958: City commences purchasing and clearing of properties making up the North Frankfort Urban Renewal Area.
Mid 1960s: Mayo Underwood School, American Legion Building, homes and churches are torn down. Residents are scattered throughout the city. Housing promised to residents falls far short of slum clearance promises.